Application: JIT relies on referrals on staff and trusted sources, including youth participants, partners and collaborating agencies to recommend young men who are ready to make the commitment to a 10 month program with monthly meetings. Potential participants must complete an online survey to establish their current status and also participate in individual interviews with the JIT staff, Bridges volunteers and former participants to clarify program goals and expectations. For each Bridges cohort, 15-20 young men are selected to participate.
Goals: The program is designed to provide “bridges” to provide consistent, individualized positive guidance and support to encourage transitioning young men to become thriving members of a community, including:
- Attract youth in the system to a “bridge” of resources available during transition
- Guide youth to achieve their self-identified SMART goals in the areas of employment, education, relationships, and other objectives that lead to self-sufficiency and well being.
- Assist youth in valuing family relationships and making effective decisions regarding children.
- Afford youth the opportunity and tools to expand their personal and professional horizons, through sponsored entertainment, travel, and cultural enrichment.
- Provide youth the necessary assistance to realize their potential as men.
Planned Program Schedule & Requirements: Both program participants and Bridges champions are required to honor a commitment for consistent participation.
Evaluation. Success in the program will be tracked and reviewed based on:
Positive Connections: 90% of participants who complete the program will report a minimum of three new consistent connections that support their goals; 90% will report more and deeper trusting, relationships with peers and adults
Improved Relationship Skills: 90% of participants who complete the program will demonstrate improved interpersonal communication skills, conflict resolution skills and satisfaction in personal relationships
Self-Sufficiency: 100% of participants will participate in at least two other activities/programs; 90% of participants who complete the program will significantly increase scores in critical areas identified at program start (Housing, Finances, Employment, Education)
Personal SMART Goals: 90% of participants who complete the program will achieve agreed upon personalized objectives set with Champions and supported by peers; 90% will demonstrate clearer articulation of personal goals and aspirations and identification of and action taken to achieve goals
Self-Empowerment: 90% of participants who complete the program will show greater internal resiliency, as shown by the ability to:
- Handle stress and cope with difficult situations
- Identify self-limiting belief & Reflect on choices in challenging situations
- Solve and address challenges as they occur
- Identify strengths and personal achievements
- Articulate a greater sense of empowerment and ownership over own future
Leadership Development: 50% of participants who complete the program will assume leadership roles within the B2S program or in other pursuits consistent with their goals and aspirations
Confident, Capable & Connected: Participants who complete the program will significant increase pre-program baseline scores consistent with individual needs and targets set for maximum impact
Contact. Marquelle Edwards, Youth Services Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-683-9340 ext. 27