College Bound 2022 Kickoff
Did You Know?
– Only 3-6% of emancipated foster youth earn a college degree.
– Research shows that access to financial and academic support in the first year of college increases foster youth’s success rate.
– Since 2006, thanks to JIT’s College Bound service, 371 participants have graduated, and 231 are still in school.
Beating the odds
Many connections were made during the first day of our College Bound Kickoff! This year, over 50 youth participants and 30 volunteer coaches enrolled to participate in our College Bound service. Participants will receive the tools and support needed to graduate successfully, and coaches will be there to cheer and encourage each academic milestone! We know that the college journey for foster youth is never easy. Our two-day celebration focuses on reinforcing and motivating our youth’s educational goals.
June 21: Pathways to Financial Power workshop
June 22: Financial Fitness 103 workshop
June 23: Coach Approach to Mentoring Practice Session
June 25: College Bound Day 2
June 28: Pathways to Financial Power Workshop
This past weekend, the 2022 College Bound cohort was able to:
– Meet the College Bound ‘22 coaches.
– Practiced practical communication skills.
– Learned about all of JIT services, and
– Connected with San Diego Community resources.
Our Equity Walk activity was a wonderful space for all guests to bond and appreciate the diversity of individual backgrounds and to connect over similar life experiences, challenges, and success.
Just in Time for Foster Youth’s College Bound service gets featured on KUSI.
Coach Approach to Mentoring
After a brief Coach Approach training, attendees practiced active listening with participants and coaches taking turns asking curious and powerful questions.
We introduced our participants to all our services during our JIT resource breakout segment. Coordinators presented their service with a carnival game designed to educate and entertain participants.
Youth also learned about other community services and resources.
Coming up on June 25th is our College Bound celebration where youth receive their laptops, printers and a gift card for a college shopping spree at Walmart with their coaches.